Friday, September 30, 2011

Next stop....Australia!

After my incredible journey in the fall, I returned to Canada just before christmas (Dec.22, 2010), started a new job the beginning of January, and after working at my job for a month, was off on my next adventure, to Australia for three weeks.


Back in November 2009, I went on a little road trip with three friends from Quebec; two of which are cheerleaders for the Montreal Alouettes and were trying out for So You Think You Can Dance Canada. Sophie, Joani and Roxy picked me up from school in Belleville on their way by and we spent a wonderful weekend in Toronto together. At the hostel we stayed at, I met a guy named Chester who had just moved to Canada from Australia. Wanting to learn more, I left a letter on his bunk bed and he added me on facebook so we could chat more. I was also desperate for a documentary subject so it turned out that I did my project on Chester. I helped him prepare for his first Canadian winter, moved him from the hostel to the place he rents in Toronto and later adopted him and another Aussie we met later into my family to show them what a real Canadian christmas was like. Since then we've been like brother and sister and Chester has been included in many family events.


When it came time for Chester to go back to Australia to visit his family, he asked if I'd like to join him. Of course I said yes so so at the end of February, we took off from Toronto and flew to Perth, Western Australia via Dubai.


Day 1- We went to the beach to start off and then to the Perth Aquarium. I got to touch a stingray and a starfish :)






Day 2- We went to Penguin Island where the fairy penguins are. Unfortunately it was very hot (38 C the first 4 days of our trip) so the penguins were hiding in the brush to stay cool. They did have a rehabilitation centre for some injured penguins so we got to see them. It's hard to tell how small they really are because I didn't have anything to compare them to in size in their little habitat but they were probably only a couple feet tall, if that. It was so hot that eventually, before we went on the ferry back to the mainland, I  ran into the ocean quickly to cool off. It was so wonderful.








No comments:

Post a Comment